Did you know that learning to play a musical instrument has many benefits including the ability to bring down stress? You may think that you are past learning but it’s never too late to pick the guitar, piano, violin, drums, etc and learn how to play it! These are reasons why everyone should learn to play a musical instrument.
- Relieves Stress : Studies show that playing an instrument helps in lowering the heart rate and blood pressure, which in turn lowers the stress hormones, thus making us feel relaxed.
- Improves Memory: Music and memory go hand in hand. Learning to play a musical instrument makes you both parts of your brain and this in turn boosts memory power.
- Teaches Discipline, Responsibility & Perseverance: Learning to play an instrument takes time and effort which results in your learning patience and perseverance. To get a musical phrase or an entire song down with as few mistakes as possible takes great focus and repetition. Since it is such a challenge, this teaches you self-discipline and the importance of maintaining a steady practice schedule.
- Fosters Self Expression and Creativity: Stuck in everyday routine lives, many of us lose touch with our creative side. Learning to play a musical instrument, especially when you reach advanced levels can foster lost creativity. Since music education plays on your mental, emotional and cognitive abilities, the brain is stimulated to think out of the ordinary, which results in improved confidence level and creativity.
- Fun: Playing a musical instrument can bring back the fun factor into your life. Music has the special quality to bring joy, peace and fulfillment that helps lift the spirit and make life enjoyable for everyone involved.
Spreading the immense joy that music brings to all who wish to learn, was what motivate The Society for the Performing Arts in Nigeria (SPAN) to set up a music academy –SPAN Academy of Jazz and Contemporary music with the aim of helping aspiring people learn music and to learn also how to play different musical instruments.